Last month I wrote a post about becoming a freelance writer. Today I’m sharing 20 tips that’ll help you fail as a freelance writer.
- Don’t set yourself a writing routine or stick to it. Always make sure that doing your writing is at the bottom of your list of priorities. Even when you are writing, if something else you have to do that day springs to mind, then go and do that instead.
- If one of your friends comes round to invite you out for coffee, just go, no matter how busy you are with your writing.
- Whenever you’re writing, check your phone every time there’s a notification.
- Always feel guilty for doing your writing instead of doing what other people want you to do.
- Don’t read any articles about writing, especially if it’s written by someone who’s done it before.
- If anyone tells you of way to make money from your writing, don’t believe them and never try it.
- Never take a writing course to hone your skills.
- Don’t visit any relevant blogs on the internet, and never subscribe to their newsletters.
- Don’t join any writer’s forums or participate in any online courses and discussions.
- Don’t get your own website to showcase your writing ability and writing services to the whole world.
- Do everything you can not to get your own name known in the writing world.
- Keep your work secret. Always put your writing away in a drawer when you’re finished. Never show it to anyone – especially editors and publishers.
- Don’t submit articles to paying websites.
- Never even think about writing a book.
- Especially don’t consider turning a non-fiction book into income.
- They say you should write every day, and at least 5 article proposals or short stories every week. If you do write them, don’t mail them.
- If an editor likes your work and publishes it, never offer to write for them again.
- If one publishers rejects your work, assume that it’s worthless and don’t send it anywhere else. Take the rejection letter personally and throw your work in the bin.
- Never ever consider the possibility that your work could be suitable for another use and sold again.
- And if all that doesn’t make you fail, you can always just give up writing.
If you, despite all of this, still have this urge to share your writing, you’re probably a natural. Have you considered the idea that it’s your moral imperative to share your writing with the world? You’re calling, if you will? Get started today with a complimentary preview to my author education program. Have a look at it now and get started. Then, open up your notebook. Start writing. You can begin to build a rewarding career as a freelance writer today.Preview the course
Wilko van de Kamp Text me: 604-210-8668
Hi, I’m Wilko van de Kamp, creator of Liberty Training Academy and bestselling author of the Freedom Project book series. For more than 15 years, I have helped people and their companies achieve their own results beyond their goals. I work with authors, coaches and experts to build their brand to become a #1 industry influencer and increase their impact on the communities they serve. We focus on every aspect of personal brand building through technology and storytelling, with a relentless focus on accelerating the achievement of their personal, professional and financial goals. And I would love to do the same for you! To get a conversation started, simply text me at (604) 210-8668. You can also preview any of my courses free of charge.